|Knowledge Base - Repairing Outlook 2007 Data File Errors|
|by Drew Parrish|
To fix the error message, "A data file did not close properly the last time it was used and is being checked for problems" in Outlook 2007, follow these instructions:
1. In Outlook 2007, click the Tools menu and select Options.
2. In the Options dialog box, click the Mail Setup tab and then click the Data Files button.
3. In the Account settings window, you will see your personal Outlook data files listed. Make a note of the full path. The path will be C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook.
4. Close the Account Settings dialog box and Options window, and exit out of Outlook.
5. Run the repair tool, SCANPST.exe. This file can be found in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office 12
6. When the window pops up, click browse and file the data files you wish to repair, and click the Repair button.
7. If errors are found, make sure the "Make backup of scanned file before repairing" box is checked.
8. Once you see the "Repair Complete" message, click OK.
9. Repeat steps 6-8 for other data files.