Director for Professional Development and the Center for Innovation, Business, and EntrepreneurshipDate Posted: 10/06/21
Director for Professional Development and the Center for Innovation, Business, and Entrepreneurship
Wabash College seeks an experienced, dynamic professional to provide leadership for its nationally ranked Schroeder Center for Career Development and Center for Innovation, Business, and Entrepreneurship (CIBE). Wabash’s goal is for all graduating seniors to have excellent opportunities for employment and/or graduate or professional study. The foundation of this goal resides in the Schroeder Center as we prepare our students to meet their futures with confidence and clarity.
Simultaneously, Wabash seeks to build on its strength in innovation, business, and entrepreneurship by making the CIBE a prestigious component of Wabash X and Professional Development. The CIBE is Wabash’s platform for experiential learning and skills development in business, entrepreneurship, and innovation that provides students real-world opportunities to leverage their academic experiences to conduct research, develop business and marketing plans, and solve problems.
Deliverables and Responsibilities
The Director will have a range of leadership and managerial responsibilities related to advancing student development across the College. The successful candidate must be willing to be fully engaged in the lives of Wabash students – meeting them where they are and providing them with inspiration and mentorship that leads to success. The Director also will:
- Lead all aspects of career and professional development on a small, student-centered campus that prepares young men for post-graduate success in an increasingly competitive and dynamic environment.
- Lead the collaborative staff in the Schroeder Center, and develop a wide range of outreach activities, including professional development seminars, internships, and experiential learning programs.
- Inspire and motivate the creative thinking CIBE Consultants by providing them a role model and sounding board for ideas and guidance as they execute a wide-ranging program of research and project development.
- Offer support to ensure the Wabash Internships and Student Employment (WISE) program provides students with résumé building opportunities.
- Manage, develop, and enhance the CIBE’s programmatic activities and initiatives, including key partnerships with employers, local and state government, and on-campus departments.
- Support and develop best-in-class internship and externship programs.
- Manage budgets of the Schroeder Center and CIBE, and partner with the Advancement Office to develop, execute, and report out results from external grants.
- Foster partnerships across the College and beyond, engaging with faculty, staff, Career Services Advisors, the CIBE Advisory Committee and alumni, current and prospective donors, and employers of innovative and entrepreneurial organizations.
- Oversee the development and implementation of internal and external communications strategies for diverse audiences.
- Support the Admissions Office through programming, consultations with prospective students, and coordination of the CIBE Direct Admit Program of approximately 20 students each year.
- Delegate, coach, and inspire students to develop skills by engaging in immersion learning, certification programs, project teams, and intensives that lead to achieving tremendous outcomes at graduation.
- Successfully align programming for the Schroeder Center and CIBE programs such as TEDx, by ensuring future business/workplace trends are considered and explored as students continue to compete in an increasingly competitive and changing economic market.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Above all else, a commitment to student learning and development in all its forms.
- Demonstrated leadership abilities with collaborative teams and enthusiasm for being highly involved in student development.
- Effective written and oral communication skills, with an entrepreneurial spirit for engaging external stakeholders, including employers, alumni, and funders.
- Understanding of College’s mission and the vision of Professional Development and its alignment with classroom work.
- Experience with budgeting and financial management.
- A bachelor’s degree and prior relevant experience in a corporate or college/university setting.
- At least five years of proven administrative and supervisory experience of building and retaining a strong team of motivated professionals.
- Advanced degree or significant experience in business or entrepreneurship.
- Background in data analytics, proven employer outreach, and specialization in graduate/professional school preparation.
About the Schroeder Center for Career Development
The Schroeder Center for Career Development (Career Services) at Wabash College prepares its students to meet their futures with confidence and clarity. Wabash is proud to have been the top-ranked college in the Princeton Review’s college guide rankings for “Best Internship Program” and “Best Alumni Network,” and has consistently ranked among in the top-10 for “Best Career Services.”
The Schroeder Center helps students to identify, develop, and experience civic and career leadership before they graduate. Through professional immersion trips and vibrant internships, students explore opportunities to reach individual career goals of employment, graduate school, or service opportunities. Wabash offers or develops individualized programs and resources to help its students achieve their goals.
The Schroeder Center’s results are stunning. In each of the last five years, at least 95% of Wabash graduates were settled into first destinations (jobs, graduate school, or service) within six months of graduation, including two years with 100%.
About the Center for Innovation, Business, and Entrepreneurship
The Center for Innovation, Business, and Entrepreneurship (CIBE) is one of the Wabash X co-curricular initiatives that provides students real-world skills and opportunities designed to augment their classroom learning. The CIBE includes a direct admit program for new students interested in careers in business, which includes immersive experiences in business, sales, marketing, and finance; the Liberal Arts Bridges to Business summer program; and the CIBE Consultants program, which gives students important opportunities to conduct research and shape business plans for campus departments, local non-profits, and city government.
Wabash graduates leverage their liberal arts education with their CIBE experience to work at or run some of the most innovative, creative, and entrepreneurial businesses in the world, including small start-ups in San Francisco, on Wall Street, in social enterprises in Africa, and in the boardrooms of some of our nation’s largest companies. At Wabash, students from all majors develop their business and entrepreneurial knowledge and skills, while preparing to be innovative leaders throughout their careers.
Please upload a cover letter, resume and contact information for three professional references by choosing apply now or at www.wabash.edu/employment.
Wabash College, a liberal arts college for men, seeks faculty and staff who are committed to providing quality engagement with students, high levels of academic challenge and support, and meaningful experiences that prepare students for life and leadership among diverse populations around the globe. Wabash is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from persons of all backgrounds.
Contact:Catherine A Metz
Director of Human Resources
P.O. Box 352
Crawfordsville, IN 47933
For general questions about the position or the department, contact:Catherine A Metz
Director of Human Resources
Return to Listings