College Bursar and Director of Accounts ReceivableDate Posted: 03/07/23
Job Title: Bursar and Director of Accounts Receivable
Division/Department: Business Office/Office of the Treasurer
Reporting Relationship: Chief Financial Officer and Treasurer
Office Location: Center Hall
Work Schedule: M-F, 8:00am – 4:30pm, Flexible/Hybrid Work Options Available
Appointment Information: Exempt, Monthly
The College Bursar and Director of Accounts Receivable manages all billing and collections processes including the oversight of student billings, disbursement of financial aid, and generation of student refunds; management of camps, conferences, summer housing, and other receivables; administration of college-owned rental billings and collections; and the management of systems and monitoring processes for all college receivables. The College Bursar educates students and parents on billing policies and procedures and advises on payment plan options. This position requires a passion for customer service, desire to serve students, and strong oral and written communication skills.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage all student and institutional receivables processes, including billing, payment processing, disbursement of internal and external financial aid and awards, processing student balance refunds in accordance with federal and state financial aid regulations, recording of payments, and monitoring collections efforts.
- Oversee student and receivables modules of the college’s enterprise-wide resource planning (ERP) system and manage tuition and fee tables, aging reports, annual billing programs, and institutional processes related to 1098-T Tuition Statement and 1042-S Foreign Person’s U.S. Source Income reporting.
- Administer the student health insurance plan, including oversight of the waiver process, submission of payments, and management of required reports.
- Manage financial requirement of federal loan programs, including drawing funds and reporting federal loan disbursements to the college, reconciling transactions in federal systems and the college financial systems,
- Direct institutional loan program and work with third party payment processor to manage loan transactions, balances, reporting, and collections.
- Oversee the work of outside collection agencies assisting with collections efforts.
- Supervise the Business Office Assistant-Student Accounts staff member.
- Provide accounting support related to student organizations, fraternities, and alumni events.
- Provide general business office transaction services including bank reconciliations, bank system access administration, release of payroll files, processing of bank deposits, and accounting or transaction support, including annual financial report activities, such as pledge receivables, accounts receivables, and annual write off of receivables.
- Support the Treasurer’s Office with oversight of the website and related forms, creation and updates of business process documents, document imaging oversight, and cross functional support for accounting and reporting needs.
- Serve collaboratively as a key member of the Treasurer’s management team.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Business Administration, or related area required, Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum of five to seven (5-7) years of financial management required, experience in managing receivables, cashiering, and collections preferred. Higher education experience preferred.
- Strong oral and written communication skills required.
- Professional discernment and ability to maintain/safeguard confidential information is critical.
- Strong analytical and business process skills required.
- Proficient use of administrative systems and Microsoft Office required.
- Ability to collaborate with the college community, including students, parents, senior management, faculty and staff members, volunteers, and third-party business partners and vendors.
To apply for this position, please upload a cover letter, resume, and contact information of three professional references by selecting “Apply Now” on this page or at www.wabash.edu/employment. Please have all materials ready to submit at the time of application. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Wabash College, a liberal arts college for men, seeks faculty and staff who are committed to providing quality engagement with students, high levels of academic challenge and support, and meaningful experiences that prepare students for life and leadership among diverse populations around the globe. Wabash is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from persons of all backgrounds.
Director of Human Resources
P.O. Box 352
Crawfordsville, IN 47933
For general questions about the position or the department, contact:Catherine Metz
Director of Human Resources
Return to Listings