Director of SurveysDate Posted: 11/09/22
Wabash College invites applications for the full-time, salaried position of Director of Surveys for the Higher Education Data Sharing Consortium (HEDS). HEDS is an organization of 190 colleges and universities committed to sharing data, knowledge, and expertise to advance undergraduate liberal arts education, inclusive excellence, and student success.
The preference for this position is for in-person work at the HEDS offices at Wabash College in Crawfordsville, Indiana. However, this position may be approved for remote or hybrid work within the United States. If remote, the Director of Surveys will travel to Crawfordsville for meetings with other staff members as requested. HEDS will cover travel, food, and lodging expenses for those meetings. The position is for a standard work week of about 40 hours. The Director of Surveys must also be available for calls and video-conference meetings with clients across the country and with the HEDS staff. HEDS will provide computer equipment necessary for the Director’s work. Internet is provided in the HEDS office, but if remote the Director of Surveys must provide reliable internet for the position. This position reports to the Director, Associate Director, and Assistant Director.
The Director of Surveys is the member of the HEDS Research Team who has leadership responsibilities beyond the standard work of a Research Team member including:
- Ensures progress on deadlines and milestones in the administration of HEDS surveys and production of survey data files and reports.
- Coordinates with the Assistant Director on timelines, priorities, problem solving, and communication with the four other members of the HEDS Research Team.
- Ensures the HEDS Research Team is communicating and collaborating effectively.
- Ensures the quality of the HEDS Research Team’s customer service.
- Ensures that the work of the HEDS Research Team focuses on the mission of HEDS and the priorities set by the HEDS Director, Associate Director, and Assistant Director.
- Works with the HEDS Research Team to ensure the quality and integrity of the survey data and survey reports that HEDS disseminates.
- Ensures changes or improvements to HEDS surveys and HEDS survey reports are thorough and implemented in a timely way.
The above are in addition to the skills and responsibilities all members of the Research Team have. As part of a collaborative team, the Research Team members do the following in both remote and face-to-face settings:
- communicate clearly and courteously with all members of the HEDS staff;
- work supportively, cooperatively, and collegially with the other members of the HEDS Research Team;
- actively listen to and implement the directions of the three HEDS Directors;
- take responsibility for managing priorities in their own work, meeting deadlines, and other expectations of the three HEDS Directors;
- quickly identify and communicate potential roadblocks and obstacles to other members of the HEDS Research Team and the three HEDS Directors;
- ensure that their work is timely, accurate, error-free, and of high quality; and
- take responsibility for mistakes.
Key Research Team responsibilities include:
- accurate and error free work on:
- collecting, cleaning, formatting, and analyzing data;
- creating reports, spreadsheets, and other summary/analytical information for institutions;
- writing clear prose for an audience of non-experts who use HEDS services and reports;
- providing courteous, supportive, high-quality customer service and support to the institutions that use HEDS surveys;
- identifying and communicating areas for improvement in our work to the three HEDS Directors; and
- willingness to travel to two or three conferences a year and if working remotely, travel to meet with other HEDS staff members as requested by the three HEDS Directors.
Summary of qualifications and skills:
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher required.
- Ability to lead and support a small team of colleagues.
- Basic skills with Microsoft Excel.
- Ability and willingness to learn how to use more advanced features of Microsoft Excel, including macros and formulas.
- Ability and willingness to learn how to use statistical software.
- Ability and willingness to learn how to use the consortium’s survey engine.
- Strong written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Strong quantitative skills.
- Ability and inclination to work in a courteous, professional, and responsive manner with other staff members and institutional representatives.
- Ability to work both independently and in teams to innovate products and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
To apply for this position, please upload a cover letter, resume, and contact information of three professional references by selecting “Apply Now” on this page. Please have all materials ready to submit at the time of application, as it is not possible to save and return later to an incomplete application. Please direct questions and applications to Kelly McDorman, Assistant Director of HEDS, at email@example.com. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Job offer will be contingent on the satisfactory completion of a background check.
Wabash College, a liberal arts college for men, seeks faculty and staff who are committed to providing quality engagement with students, high levels of academic challenge and support, and meaningful experiences that prepare students for life and leadership among diverse populations around the globe. Wabash is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from persons of all backgrounds.
Contact:Catherine A Metz
Director of Human Resources
P.O. Box 352
Crawfordsville, IN 47933
For general questions about the position or the department, contact:Kelly McDorman
Assistant Director of Higher Education Data Sharing Consortium
Higher Education Data Sharing Consortium
Return to Listings