Research Analyst and Data Manager
Date Posted: 10/31/23
HEDS, located at Wabash College, is an independent, nonprofit organization of about 200 colleges and universities committed to sharing data, knowledge, and expertise to advance undergraduate liberal arts education, inclusive excellence, and student success. You can learn more about HEDS at: https://www.hedsconsortium.org.
HEDS is searching for a full-time Research Analyst and Data Manager. The position would run from the employment start date until December 31, 2024. Depending on the needs of HEDS, there is the possibility of the position becoming permanent, but that is not guaranteed at this time. This position is salaried with benefits.
This position is for in-person/hybrid work at the HEDS offices at Wabash College in Crawfordsville, Indiana. The position might be approved for fully remote work in certain states in the United States. If remote, the Research Analyst will travel to Crawfordsville for meetings with other staff members as requested. HEDS will cover travel, food, and lodging expenses for those meetings. The position is for a standard work week of about 40 hours, with work hours based on the Central/Eastern time zones. Internet is provided in the HEDS office, but the Research Analyst must provide reliable internet for the position if remote.
The Research Analyst and Data Manager works with the other members of the HEDS survey team and reports to the Assistant Director. As part of a highly collaborative team, the Research Analyst and Data Manager will do the following in both remote and face-to-face settings:
- communicate clearly and courteously with all members of the HEDS staff;
- work supportively, cooperatively, and collegially with all members of the HEDS staff;
- actively listen to and implement the directions of the HEDS directors;
- take responsibility for managing priorities in their work, meeting deadlines, and other expectations of the HEDS directors;
- quickly identify and communicate potential roadblocks and obstacles to the HEDS directors;
- show attention to detail and precision in organizing and producing work products;
- ensure their work is timely, accurate, error-free, and high-quality; and
- take responsibility for mistakes.
Key responsibilities include:
- accurate and error-free work on:
- collecting, cleaning, formatting, and analyzing data;
- creating reports, spreadsheets, and other summary/analytical information for institutions;
- writing clear prose for an audience of non-experts who use HEDS services and reports;
- providing courteous, supportive, high-quality customer service and support to the institutions that use our services;
- identifying and communicating areas for improvement in our work to the HEDS directors;
- willingness to travel to two or three conferences a year and, if working remotely, travel to meet with other HEDS staff members as requested by directors; and
- willingness to help identify and address the evolving needs of the organization and the institutions the organization serves.
Additional qualifications and skills:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher required.
- Strong quantitative, written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Basic skills with Microsoft Excel.
- Willingness to learn how to use more advanced features of Microsoft Excel, including macros and formulas.
- Willingness to learn how to use statistical software.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively with colleagues on assignments and projects.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks in a busy work environment.
To apply for this position, please upload a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references by selecting “Apply Now” on this page. Please have all materials ready to submit at the time of application, as it is not possible to save and return later to an incomplete application. Please direct questions and applications to Kelly McDorman, Assistant Director of HEDS, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. A job offer will be contingent on a satisfactory background check.
Wabash College, a liberal arts college for men, seeks faculty and staff who are committed to providing quality engagement with students, high levels of academic challenge and support, and meaningful experiences that prepare students for life and leadership among diverse populations around the globe. Wabash is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from persons of all backgrounds.
Director of Human Resources
P.O. Box 352
Crawfordsville, IN 47933
For general questions about the position or the department, contact:
Higher Education Data Sharing Consortium