Challenging intellectual and creative work is critical to positive learning outcomes. Wabash College emphasizes the importance of academic effort and has high expectations for student performance. To find out how challenging any college's academic program is, consider asking the following questions. The red type shows how Wabash freshmen answered the NSSE survey.
- To what degree is studying and spending time on academic
* 91 percent of freshmen feel Wabash places substantial
emphasis on academics.
- How much time do students spend on homework each week?
* 61 percent of freshmen spend more than 15 hours per week
preparing for class.
- What type of thinking do assignments require (analytical? critical?)
* 92 percent: analyzing basic elements of an idea or theory.
* 91 percent: synthesizing and organizing ideas.
* 93 percent: making judgments about value of information.
- How much writing is expected?
* 62 percent of students write more than four papers between
5 and 19 pages and 21 percent write at least one paper
of at least 20 pages.
- How much reading is expected during the school year?
* 76 percent of students read more than 10 assigned books
or packs of course readings.