Academic Administrative Coordinator for Mathematics and Computer Science, Physics, and Education Studies (part-time)
Date Posted: 06/27/17
Wabash College invites applications for the part-time position of Academic Administrative Coordinator for Mathematics and Computer Science, Physics, and Education Studies. The selected candidate will provide administrative support for the programs, faculty, and students in the identified departments. This is a part-time hourly position during the academic year (August through May) and does not come with additional benefits.
Listed below is a summary of the responsibilities of the position.
- Academic responsibilities and support consist of assisting (1) faculty in Mathematics and Computer Science, Physics, and Education Studies; (2) associated support staff (Physics Technician, Program Coordinator for Secondary Licensure, and Director of Safety and Security); and (3) dual-degree engineering program, secondary licensure program, and quantitative skills center (QSC) scheduling.
- Handle departmental and faculty documents: photocopying and Word processing for faculty, maintains files, collect and archive course syllabi each semester, assist with comprehensive exams.
- Financial processes and budget management, including maintaining updated budget spreadsheets, monthly P-card reconciliation, manage budgets for external grants; check requests for purchases and reimbursements with associated paperwork, and documentation and processing for stipend payments to visiting and/or cooperating scholars, teachers, and administrators.
- Manage hiring records via College’s hiring web site: maintain hiring database, communicate with applicants, coordinate campus visits and schedules, communicate search results.
- Supervise students: coordinate with departmental faculty and staff to post job ads, manage applications, and hire and train student workers; coordinate time schedules and approve student time sheets.
- Building/department support for handling phone calls, purchasing supplies, placing and coordinating work orders for repairs and maintenance, campus mail oversight, and event coordination including ordering for refreshments and managing set-up and clean-up.
- Other duties as requested
DEPARTMENT SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES
Mathematics and Computer Science
- Manage Display Areas: Maintain Mathematics commons room (first floor) and bulletin board with graduate school and summer internship folders and employment information. Maintain ground floor display cases and take student photos
- Assist in planning the Commencement breakfast for graduating students and families.
- Mathematics Club: Order food and clean up after meeting
- Manage Display Areas: Maintain physics lounge area (third floor) and bulletin board with graduate school and summer internship folders and employment information. Maintain ground floor display cases and take student photos
- Distribute Departmental Newsletter: Update newsletter mailing list. Address and mail newsletter. Create and maintain database of physics alumni
- Maintain student homework mail boxes
- Maintain Radiation Report Binder: collect and organize radiation reports, collect, distribute, and mail radiation badges
- Journal Club: Order food and clean up after meeting
- Logistical and budget management support for annual May immersion trip, including contract negotiation and processing for lodging, travel, and other costs, and documentation and stipend processing for cooperating teachers and/or administrators.
Other Administrative Duties
- QSC Scheduler: Supervise QSC tutors and tutoring services planning in the form of assigning tutor schedules, approving tutor time sheets, and coordinating the spaces and times used for QSC tutoring
- Assistant to Director of Safety and Security: Collect mail, make copies as needed, direct detectives to Mr. Woods, book rooms for safety meetings
- Dual-degree engineering and Oak Ridge Programs
- Manage Department Budget: Maintain spreadsheets of all program purchases, generate check requests for purchase reimbursements
- Organize Colloquia
- Help maintain and organize a database of students involved in dual-degree engineering
- Enjoys interacting and working with people, confronting challenging problems, and learning new skills
- High School Degree required
- Computer aptitude and experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, and database software
- Excellent organization and communication skills
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to work with confidential information
- Ability to manage multiple tasks in a busy office environment
To apply for this position, please upload a cover letter, resume, and contact information of three professional references by selecting “Apply Now” on this site. Please have all materials ready to submit at the time of application. Review of application materials will begin on July 12, 2017 and continue until the position is filled. The target start date is August 7, 2017.
Wabash College, a liberal arts college for men, seeks faculty and staff committed to providing quality engagement with students, high levels of academic challenge and support, and meaningful experiences that prepare students for life and leadership in a diverse, multicultural world. Wabash is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from persons of all backgrounds.
Mrs. Chris Duff
Senior Administrative Assistant to the Dean of the College
P.O. Box 352
Crawfordsville, IN 47933