Professor Westphal has been at Wabash since 2004 and teaches in the Mathematics and Computer Science Department. His primary research interest is in the development of efficient numerical methods for problems in continuum mechanics, an area that is at the intersection of mathematics, computer science, and physics. It's perhaps no surprise that his favorite courses to teach are also in the area of applied and computational mathematics. Across campus he has been involved in the pre-engineering program at Wabash, various undergraduate research activities, and a host of mathematics related student activities. In his free time, professor Westphal can be found reading, juggling, skateboarding, mountain biking, or hanging out with his wife and two kids. Check out his personal webpage for more info.
* Ph.D. Applied Mathematics, University of Colorado, Boulder, 2004
* M.S. Applied Mathematics, University of Tulsa, 2000
* B.S. Engineering Physics and Mathematics, Oral Roberts University, 1998
* MAT 010-110 - Precalculus/Calculus
* MAT 111 - Calculus I
* MAT 112 - Calculus II
* MAT 223 - Linear Algebra
* MAT 224 - Differential Equations
* MAT 324 - Partial Differential Equations
* MAT/CSC 337 - Numerical Analysis
* MAT 344 - Complex Analysis
* CSC 111 - Intro to Programming
* CSC 112 - Advanced Programming
* CSC 271 - Topics: Stochastic Simulation
* Z. Cai and C.R. Westphal, "An Adaptive Mixed Least-Squares Finite Element Method for Viscoelastic Fluids of Oldroyd Type," J. Non-Newt. Fluid Mech., 159 (2009), pp 72-80.
* Z. Cai and C.R. Westphal, "A Weighted H(div) Least-Squares Method for Second-Order Elliptic Problems," SIAM J. Numer. Anal., 46 (2008), pp 1640-1651.
* E. Lee, T. Manteuffel and C.R. Westphal, "Weighted-Norm First-Order System Least Squares for Problems with Three Dimensional Edge Singularities." SIAM J. Numer. Anal., 46 (2008), pp 1619-1639.
* E. Lee, T. Manteuffel and C.R. Westphal, "Weighted-Norm First-Order System Least Squares for Problems with Corner Singularities." SIAM J. Numer. Anal. 44 (2006), pp. 1974-1996.
* T. Manteuffel, S.F. McCormick, J.G. Schmidt and C.R. Westphal, "First-Order System Least Squares (FOSLS) for Geometrically Nonlinear Elasticity." SIAM J. Numer. Anal. 44 (2006), pp. 2057-2081.
* "Numerical Modeling for Capillary Equations," with Allison Cullen, Kaitlyn Brady, Genevieve Dupuis, and Jessica Flores-Rosado.
* "A Shear-Thinning Viscoelastic Model of Non-Newtonian Blood Flow," with Ashley Crish, Jessica Keeton, Simon Rush, Bryant Watkins, Bo Xu, and Dezhi Xu.
* "A Weighted Least-Squares Finite Element Method for Elliptic Problems with Degenerate and Singular Coefficients," with Stephen Bidwell and Matthew Hassell.
* "Adaptively Weighted Least-Squares Finite Element Methods for Convection Dominated Diffusion PDEs," with Myles Baker, Sarah Farell, Bridget Kraynik, and Yifei Sun.
* "Least-Squares Finite Element Models for Viscoelastic Fluids," with Haris Amin.